Bitter leaf is a green vegetable with bitter taste, it is used to cook different soup type in the southern, western, and northern part of Nigeria and it is used for medicinal cure for different health problems. This soup is one of the most delicious soups you can ever imagine.
In different ceremonies in the southern, northern and western part of Nigeria, bitter leaf soup are served with different swallow choice (semolina, eba, fufu, pounded yam, etc.). It is cooked with different spicy which gives it a unique taste apart from its bitter taste after wash.
Bitter leaf is found mostly in the farms, markets and nearby stores and they can be easily planted in your garden yard homes for quick consumption. Most people don’t like this leaf bitter taste, so it is best advised to wash it well before use.
Bitter leaf juices are locally used for blood purification, weight reduction and sugar reduction in the body. The Igbo and Yoruba people use it for cooking different soups like egusi and efo riro and it is also used for medicinal cases and also for sugar treatment.
The Igbo people of Nigeria refer to it as “(Ofe onugbu), the Yoruba people call it ( Ewuro) it is one of the most popular soup in Igbo land.
It is mostly used by the Igbo people
Like I initially stated, Ofe onugbu is my favorite amongst Nigerian soups.
The bitter leaves are either washed at home or bought in the market (already washed).
The name ‘bitter-leaf soup’ is derived from the fact that a particular leaf which is bitter (until washed) is used in cooking it.
The Ingredients includes:
- Red (palm) oil
- Crayfish (blended).
- Meat (beef, turkey, goat, chicken).
- Dried or roasted fish.
- Stock fish head (okporoko).
- Washed bitter leaves (Onugbu).
- 2 cubes of Maggi (seasoning).
- Ogiri or dawadawa (optional).
- Cocoa yam (ede) as thickener.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
BITTERLEAF NUTROTIONAL VALUE TO THE BODY
- It is used to treat fever
- It prevents cancer
- It reduces the level of hypertension
- It is used for skin treatment (itching control)
- It serve as a treatment for typhus disease
- It serve as malaria treatment
- It increases your level of endurance
- It is a major treatment for diabetics
- Serve as appendicitis treatment
- It treats the gallstone fast
- It controls diarrhea once taken
- It used for dysentery bacillary control
- It is the best treatment for typhoid
- It control tuberculosis in the body
- Can be used for respiratory and tracts infections
- It is used to purify the kidney once infected
- It controls the ear inflammation once applied
- It is used for toothache treatment.